International Day of Rural Women 2019- It is rightly said that when a women has access to land, household, agriculture and gender quality increases. Well, it is a proven fact that these ladies provide an unpaid care to the family and household all their life without any complaint which is why the United Nations celebrates the International Day of Rural Women 2019 on the October 15 annually. The prime aim is to recognize a rural women’s importance in the field of agriculture and the development of women’s right worldwide. Check out the International Day of Rural Women 2019: Theme, History and How to Celebrate from below.
International Day of Rural Women 2019
We all talk about gender equality and how women walk shoulder to shoulder with men in all fields. But we often, neglect the fact what these rural women have been doing since years now. They have been bestowing their all efforts in the agricultural field and thus make very significant contributions in development, providing nutrition and the well being of the nation. Let us check how we can celebrate these efforts of the rural women in the form of International Day of Rural Women 2019.
Theme of International Day of Rural Women 2019
The United Nations designates different themes for the International Day of Women 2019 and this year the theme for which is ” Rural Women and Girls Building Climate Resilience”. It talks about how women play a very strong role in the climate game through their activities in the agricultural sector. Usually, it is the women of the house who gets water for the household needs, collects biomass, if they are educated about how and why agriculture can affect environment, they can surely help in climate resilience. You can check out the previous themes of International Day of Rural Women from the list down below.
- 2017 – Challenges and Opportunities in Climate Resilient Agriculture for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Rural Women and Girls
- 2018- Sustainable Infrastructure, Services and Social Protection for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Rural Women and Rights
- 2019 – Rural Women and Girls Building Climate Resilience
International Day of Rural Women History
The origins of the International Day of Rural Women 2019 dates back to the year 2007 when the United Nations General Assembly passed the Resolution 62/136 which revolved around activities attaching great importance to rural women. It ensures that the development of this strata of the society is taken into full account. It urges the nations to be gender sensitive and protect the fundamental rights of the women living in rural areas as a whole.
The International Day of Rural Women was first celebrated on the October 15, 2008 by the United Nations, its member states and the collaborating bodies. There are a few important strategies and policies that have been taking into account. Scroll below to check out the objectives of the International Day of Rural Women.
- Ensuring that there is significant attention made to the basic needs of rural women.
- Ensuring their full participation in decision making at household levels.
- Ensuring their participating in implementation and follow up policies in disaster management.
- Investing in the fulfillment of the basic needs of women.
- Ensuring pre-natal, post -natal and all kinds of obstetrics care to them.
- Implementing policies that completely disregard all kinds of violent against women including sexual and domestic etc.
- Ensuring the rights of old aged women are taken into account.
- Implementing measures to provide financial assistance to women including banking, credit schemes etc.
- Ensuring that both a woman’s unpaid off farm and on farm work is recognized and rewarded.
- Revising policies such as that of ownership of land, gender stereotypes etc.
How to Celebrate the International Day of Rural Women
Women poverty and illiteracy rate is higher in the rural areas than that of urban strata, they have the highest poverty rates and yet they produce food for about 2.5 billion of people across Asia and Africa. Thus, it becomes very important to enhance the rights of rural women and provide them basic and equal empowerment. Check out the ways in which you can celebrate the International Day of Rural Women.
# Visit the rural areas and teach women
The very first step to any kind of development is education. Until and unless you spread awareness and information about the fundamental rights and basic needs of women, they cannot step ahead. You can thus visit the rural side of area to teach these ladies about the same.
# Organize small skits to teach them about Climate Ressilence
The best way to teach something is to organize an engaging skit for the viewers. You can simply take up a topic like domestic violence, sexual violence, gynae care etc.
# Volunteer with NGO
You can go for a tie up with an N.G.O which works for rural women and plan out activities and initiatives for gender empowerment in rural areas.
International Day of Rural Women 2020
The International Day of Rural Women 2020 will be celebrated on the October 15th 2020 which is a Thursday. The theme for the International Day of Rural Women 2020 has not been designated yet. The United Nations celebrates the day by promoting basic rights and need of rural women, gender sensitivity and empowerment, education of girls.