Ganesh Chaturthi is going to start in the September for around 10 days after its start. The Ganesh Visarjan is also done on this date in India. According to the hindu religion, things when done according to traditions and customs turn out to be fruitful always.The Ganesh Chaturthi date is auspicious because it falls in the month of Bhadrapada according to the Hindu Calendar.
The Ganesh Chaturthi is a festival that celebrates the birthday of Lord Ganesha who was born to Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Ganesh Chaturthi date in India also might vary so it is advisable to keep a check on the dates and confirm them from a reliable resource such as a priest. First of all, a very Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to you and your family and may your year be prosperous and filled with happiness.
The festival of Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated in various states according to their respective rituals and customs. For instance, people in Tamil Nadu will have their own rituals and people of Maharashtra might have some other customs to go with but the thing that is mutual between each and every person is their devotion for Lord Ganesha.
Check out the list of traditions and customs for Ganesh Chaturthi from down below.
Installation of Idol / Murti Sthapna
This very step of celebrating the Ganesh Chaturthi is about bringing Lord Ganesha’s idol home. These idols start getting prepared two-three weeks before the festival. They are available in various kinds of materials such as of Clay, Plaster of Paris, Glass, sand as well as organic material. It is always advised to use the Eco-friendly idol for the betterment of the environment. Check some options for Eco-friendly idols from here.
Steps For Ganesha Murti Sthapna
- Clean the place thoroughly where the idol is going to be installed.
- Decorate the place with flower garlands, fruits, colors and decorative items.
- The place should be decked up with yellow or red cloth and proper “Asan” should be set up for Lord Ganesha.
- The idol should be place in the Shubh Mahurat only.
- Leaves of Coconut and Banana are also used to decorate the place.
People get up early in the morning on this day and wear colorful clothes to welcome their guest home who is Lord Ganesha. Lord Ganesha is decked up with embellishments. Roli or Sandalwood Tikka is placed on his forehead. Prayers are done to invoke Lord Ganesha which is called the Pranpratishtha.
Ganesh Chaturthi Special Rangoli Designs
This is a ritual that includes around 16 things that are prescribed according to the Vedic scriptures. All of these things should be carried down after the Pranpratishtha. The rituals are as follows.
- Avahana – Lord Ganesha is invited to visit their home.
- Asana– He is asked to sit wherever he finds it comfortable to sit down.
- Padya – This ritual includes washing the feet of Lord Ganesha with clean water.
- Achamana and Madhuparka – The guest ie Lord Ganesha is asked something sweet to drink.
- Snana, Vastra and Pushpa – Lord Ganesha is bathed in curd and honey, he is made to wear new clothes and flower offering is done.
- Dhoopa and Deepa – A diya is lit and fragrance sticks are placed in front of the idol.
- Naivedya- Lord Ganesha is offered fruits and modak to eat.
- Arti– Arti is done and blessings are poured on everyone.
- Mantrapushpa– Flowers are thrown in every direction which implies that Lord Ganesha is present in every direction.
Offerings and Arti
People offer jaggery, coconut sweets and modak to Lord Ganesha everyday and the rest is distributed as Prasadam. The Arti should ideally be done twice a day with camphor or Ghee lit Diya.
Lord Ganesha stays at your home for approximately 10 days and hence it is important to take care of him as you would take care of the guest. If you are planning to invite Lord Ganesha at your home, then you should keep in mind that there should be someone always present at home and you should not leave Lord Ganesha alone for any reason. Also, avoid negative thoughts during these 10 days.
Happy Ganesh Chaturthi everyone.